Q. 1. What can you tell me about the Catholic practice of blessing the graves?
A. 1. On the matter of the blessing of the graves, I would like to state the following:
- Catholic cemetaries are blessed when they are designated as Catholic cemetaries.
- Because graves are always blessed during the burial ceremony, there is no need to have them blessed seperately.
- Graves in non-Catholic cemetaries are also blessed during the burial ceremony.
- Sometimes non-Catholic cemetaries have a designated "Catholic section" which was blessed.
- Individual graves need no further blessing unless they are desecrated.
- On November 1st, the Feast of All Saints' Day, some Dioceses and/or Parishes have a custom of blessing the Catholic cemetaries or individual graves. Some Dioceses and/or Parishes practice this custom on a different day of the year. This practice reminds the faithful that our departed brothers and sisters in Christ are in need of our prayers, especially those who are still in Purgatory.