Visit the new online stores
that offer a very large assortment of religious goods!
Order a copy
of the website!
Back To Home

Back to Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. 1. My son's Godfather died recently. How do I go about getting a new Godfather?

A. 1. Since you have not mentioned if you son has received the Sacrament of Confirmation, I need to provide you with two different answers.

If your son has not been confirmed, the Code of Canon Law permits the appointment of new Godparents at the Sacrament of Confirmation.

In accordance with Paragraph # 1311 of the Catechism of the Catholic Church and Canon Laws # 892-893, the child will need at least one Godparent, a maximum of two, a male and a female for the Sacrament of Confirmation. At that time, one or more Godparents can be appointed, providing that the original Godparents are no longer part of the child's life.

Canon Law # 892 Insofar as possible, there is to be a sponsor for the person to be confirmed; the sponsor is to take care that the confirmed person behaves as a true witness of Christ and faithfully fulfills the obligations inherent in this sacrament.

Canon Law # 893 1. To perform the function of sponsor, a person must fulfill the conditions mentioned in ? can. 874.

2. It is desirable to choose as sponsor the one who undertook the same function in baptism.

If your son has been confirmed, you cannot replace the Godfather who has passed away. The Code of Canon Law does not provide information on this matter, this meaning that it cannot be done. What parents usually do in such a case, they elect a spiritual mentor, an older person who has knowledge of the Catholic faith and who can guide the child in his/her spiritual journey.

To submit your question, please send to our: NEW EMAIL ADDRESS
(On the subject line: Indicate "FAQ" for "Frequently Asked Questions.")

Main Index

Copyright © Catholic Doors Ministry